Wednesday, June 23, 2010

"Briefly Unavailable for Scheduled Maintenance" Message

Just tried to do an Update Plug-in on "WPtouch iPhone Theme" and out of nowhere I get a page with "Briefly Unavailable for Scheduled Maintenance" on http://www.siliconchaos.com, the first thing that goes through my mind is "when was my last backup?", well the answer to that is not soon enough.

So I sit there starring at the screen for about 15 seconds and fire up an SSH session over to my server and take a look at the root directory for my WordPress install and notice that then only file with today's date is .maintenance, after a quick Google search I find out that WordPress places the file during an automatic upgrade to prevent visitors from a broken site due to theme or plug-in upgrades and will remove the file if the update is not interrupted.

So, if you get a "Briefly Unavailable for Scheduled Maintenance" message where your blog should be, just delete ".maintenanace" from your WordPress root directory. The worse that could happen is that the upgrade/update is still in progress and you run the risk of showing a broken site to your visitors.

No comments:

Post a Comment